Who We Are
The Korea Foundation Act (No. 4414), promulgated on December 14, 1991
The mission of The Korea Foundation is to promote better understanding of Korea within the international community and to increase friendship and goodwill between Korea and the rest of the world through various exchange programs. (Article 1, Korea Foundation Act)
- - Organizes, supports and participates in various events aimed at fostering international exchange.
- - Dispatches and invites specialists committed to international exchange.
- - Supports overseas research on Korea and distributes the results of such research.
- - Engages in various activities aimed at promoting knowledge and understanding of Korea within the international community.
- - Increases friendship and goodwill between Korea and the rest of the world via exchange and cooperation with major overseas international exchange organizations.
- - Supports activities by overseas Korean organizations to improve the status of Korea in the international community and to promote national solidarity.
- - Organizes and engages in various programs required to achieve the mission and goals of the Foundation (Article 6, Korea Foundation Act).
Board of Directors
- - The Foundation’s Board of Directors (BOD) is its top decision-making body, and it is responsible for making decisions on important affairs related to the operation of the Foundation and its main activities. It is composed of a maximum of nine members including the Foundation's president and the permanent and non-permanent directors.
- - The current BOD of the Foundation comprises nine members, namely, the Foundation's president, two executive vice-presidents (each in charge of planning and projects respectively), and six non-permanent directors.
The Foundation operates an advisory committee consisting of Korean and overseas specialists who provide specialized advice and opinions.
- May. Amb. Lee Sihyung inaugurated as the 12th president of the Foundation.
- Apr. Launched the KF Koreans & Foreigner Together Program
- Apr. Re-opened the Foundation's Tokyo Office
- May. Dr. Yu Hyun-seok inaugurated as the 11th president of the Foundation.
- Mar. Dr. Kim Woosang inaugurated as the 10th president of the Foundation.
- Nov. Launched the KF Festival (Brazil)
- Jul. Launched the KF Global Internship Program
- Mar. Hosted the KF Global Seminar
- Jan. Started to offer the KF Global e-School lectures
- June. Dr. Kim Byung-kook inaugurated as the 9th president of the Foundation
- Feb. Opened the LA office
- June. Launched youth exchange programs with and the U.S.A
- May. Commenced the Korean Food Globalization project
- May. Launched the International Music Festival (SIMF)
- Dec. Initiated the publication of the Korea Foundation Translation Series on public diplomacy
- Nov. Launched the international conference on "National Brands"
- Jan. Launched the project for the invitation of the former Peace Corps volunteers
- Jan. Launched the Korea Foundation Forum and the Global Korea Speakers Forum programs
- Feb. Yim Sung-joon inaugurated as the 8th president of the Foundation
- Jan. Opened overseas offices in , and Ho Chi Minh City
- Sept. Opened the Foundation Cultural Center in Seoul
- Aug. Opened the office
- May. Opened the office
- Jan. Kwon In-hyuk inaugurated as the 7th president of the Foundation
- Sept. Commenced a program to support the development of instructional materials
- Dec. Hosted an international conference, "The Encounter between and the World," to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Foundation
- June. Commenced Korean classical music workshop programs for overseas musicologists
- Sept. Launched the Korea-Japan teacher exchange program
- Feb. Lee In-ho inaugurated as the 6th president of the Foundation
- Sept. Launched workshops for Korean art curators in overseas museums
- Feb. Launched a publication subsidy program
- Nov. Completed a book (5-volume set) on the Korean cultural heritage in overseas collections
- Jan. Completed a set of seven VHS tapes titled Timeless Journey
- May. Launched the Foundation’s website (www.kf.or.kr)
- Apr. Lee Joung-binn inaugurated as the 5th president of the Foundation
- Dec. Completed the publication of the 4-volume book Korean Cultural Heritage
- Jan. Completed the publication of Images of Korea, a set of three VHS tapes
- Apr. Kim Jung-won inaugurated as the 4th president of the Foundation
- Jul. Commenced training programs for overseas Korean language teachers
- Dec. Held the Korean Studies Promotion Workshop; Choi Chang-yoon inaugurated as the 3rd president of the Foundation
- Sept. Launched the Next-Generation Leaders Forum project
- Apr. Commenced the program to support overseas libraries related to Korean Studies; launched a scholarship program for graduate students majoring in Korean Studies
- Dec. Started the Forum programs
- Aug.~Dec. Organized an international folk festival at the 1993 Daejeon Expo
- Jul. Launched programs to support Korean Studies, e.g. the establishment of Korean Studies professorships
- May. Commenced programs to support overseas public policy-oriented research institutes and partners
- Feb. Published the first issue of Korea Focus
- Jan. Inaugurated Son Chu-whan as the 2nd president of the foundation; opened classes on Korean culture
- Jul. Held the Korean Studies Workshop
- Jun. Launched a program to support overseas tours of Korean arts
- May. Launched a project to support the installation of a Korean gallery in overseas museums
- Apr. Commenced a fellowship program
- Mar. Published the first issue of Koreana
- Feb. Commenced a program to invite distinguished persons from overseas
- Jan. Published the first issue of the Korea Foundation Newsletter; started a support program for Korean studies materials